Thursday, April 26, 2012

Ponderable

A couple weeks ago PJ and I headed down to SLO for the weekend. It was tons of fun and I loved catching up with so many dear friends! I truly miss them more than I can communicate it.


While we were there, some interesting topics came up in discussion that have been on my mind. One in particular was giving to the Homeless. You may be thinking "random court?" but there are a crazy amount of homeless people in SLO. They have really good services there and think they may actually attract more people there because of it.

So while we were getting sandwiches on Sunday my dear friend brought up her struggle with giving and wanting to be Christ like but not knowing what exactly she should do about it. She said she had come to the conclusion that she should at least treat everyone like a son or daughter of God in attitude by not shying away when she wasn't going to give. I agreed with her that yes we do need to be smiling and warm to the homeless but I had been reading with PJ in Mosaih in the Book of Mormon just a few months ago and this verse had literally been playing in my head.

Mosaih 4:16 "And also, ye yourselves will succor those that stand in need of your succor; ye will administer of your substance unto him that standeth in need; and ye will not suffer that the beggar putteth up his petition to you in vain, and turn him out to perish."

I don't know about you but I have made and heard so many excuses not to give. Number one on the list being "I would give them money but I know what they will spend it on and I don't want to support that" After thinking and praying about it I have felt a sense of guilt over this thought. No where in the Bible or the Book of Mormon does it say give only when you know their intentions or only things they can't turn into money for drugs.

Sure, if I can be prepared with granola bars or things like that they are great to give but if not I don't think I should turn away my "succor."If I am thinking about it in terms of Matthew who am I to look at his mote of affliction. I should be focused on my beam of being unwilling to share and forget the judgement in the rest.

I think that's my conclusion I need to be more giving and focus on that part of it. At least that's my resolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment